STELLA (Star)

                       STELLA

(The word Stellar is a Latin word which means pertaining to the stars.)

She was sitting on a doorstep when I saw her, with her hands in her pocket. She was wearing a black jacket, old and full of dirt. She had a dark green woollen hat and a little grey scarf around her neck. Next to her there was a bag, which probably contained her few miserly belongings.

I smiled.

She looked down. I asked her for her name. "Stella"
"Stella, what a lovely name." She didn't respond.
She looked away.  "Where are you from?" She didn't answer.
"Where are you sleeping?"
 "At the station" She replied.
 I inquired about her family and why she was out here on the road, she remained with her eyes to the ground.

"I am all right like this" she said.
 "What could I do for you?"
 "I need money",

I wondered why she was asking me and not her family or friends. Then I stopped asking questions and gave her some money. I told her she could go to a charity organization to eat and sleep.
I realised just then she would never exchange her dignity. I looked in her eyes and hugged her. Then I kissed her on the cheek and went away.

That night,  that precious Christmas night, I looked up, and thought there are millions of stars in the sky...but once in a while you even come across one on earth...


                              STELLA

Era seduta sulla soglia di un negozio quando la vidi, con le mani in tasca. Indossava una giacca nera, vecchia e sporca di strada. Aveva un cappello di lana verde scuro e una piccola sciarpa grigia intorno al collo. Accanto a lei c'era una borsa, che probabilmente conteneva i suoi miseri resti.

Le sorrisi.

Lei guardò in basso. Le chiesi il suo nome. "Stella"
"Stella, che bel nome." Lei non replicò.
Lei distolse lo sguardo. "Di dove sei?" Lei non rispose.
"Dove stai dormendo?"
 "Alla stazione" rispose lei.
Le chiesi informazioni sulla sua famiglia e sul motivo per cui era qui fuori sulla strada, rimase con gli occhi a terra.

"Sto bene così", mi rispose.
 "Cosa potrei fare per te?"
 "Ho bisogno di soldi."

Mi chiedevo perché li stesse chiedendo a me, e non alla sua famiglia o ai suoi amici. Poi smisi di fare domande e le detti dei soldi. Le dissi che poteva rivolgersi ad un'associazione per i senzatetti per mangiare e dormire. Mi resi subito conto che lei non  avrebbe mai barattato la sua dignità. La guardai negli occhi e l'abbracciai. Poi la baciai sulla guancia e me ne andai.

Quella notte, quella preziosa notte di Natale, guardando in su pensai che di stelle nel cielo ce ne sono a milioni...ma anche sulla terra a volte ne trovi una...


© misspoetmiki  image & words


Comments

Popular Posts